From: Evidence based practice to librarianship and information science [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Graves, Rebecca S.
Sent: Thursday, September 09, 2004 7:54 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Google better than MEDLINE?!

Of course the front line clinician is NOT going to search MEDLINE - either PubMed nor Ovid nor any other interface.  They seldom if ever did, even before the web took off in 1994.  MEDLINE, and EMBASE for that matter, are for the researchers, the clinicians working on a paper/poster/project, the person doing in-depth research trying to find an answer.  To say that a clinician in a busy clinic should search MEDLINE just because of EBM is to say that a lay person wanting to find out the news should search a newspaper index instead of picking up the local or national paper.

No, the front line clinician is going to do what she or he has always done, ask a colleague.  If none are around, she will look for the quickest answer, which is probably to use Google.  No mystery there.  There are plenty of papers on the information seeking behaviors of physicians.  (Andy is right.  We do need to look at our customer's habits, needs and wants.)

However, there are products that are better than Google for professional level medical research.  What about TRIP?  www.tripdatabase.com  How about SUMSearch? http://sumsearch.uthscsa.edu/  These are two EBM meta search engines free on the web. (TRIP currently gives 5 free searches.)  I would rather the docs search here than Google.  As Patrick noted, Google is not going to be comprehensive.  If I'm the patient, I want a better search than my doc surfing on Google.

There are quite a few products available, fee or even free:  Pier, Clinical Evidence, Cochrane, Bandolier, ACP Journal Club, Dynamed, UpToDate, DARE, etc.

In summary, I'm not surprised that the docs are using Google.  I do think it's a great opportunity for librarians (a.k.a. us) to wade in and point out better tools - and, no, I don't mean MEDLINE (PubMed).

Rebecca

Rebecca S. Graves, MLS, AHIP
Educational Services Librarian
J. Otto Lottes Health Sciences Library
University of Missouri - Columbia
Columbia, MO  65212
(573) 882-0469

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of reasoning we used when we created them."  Albert Einstein