*** SORRY FOR CROSS POSTING ***

Hi Folks,

While I certainly agree that it is a dangerous road for users to tread in
putting their faith almost entirely into the power of Google there is a key
issue to be addressed:

Why are senior lecturing staff/users prioritising Google over MEDLINE?

Rather than lambasting users should the library profession be trying to
understand why Google is becoming the preferred option?

Personally I think this would be a valuable exercise in understanding user
search behavior.
By gaining an appreciation of what users expect from an information service
(e.g. convenience and simplicity) and the problems that they face with
current information service structures, we might be able to add an extra
dimension to our service which can only be a positive thing.

Just a thought!!!!

Andy Prue

Web Development Librarian
Health Libraries Network