***cross-posted***
Hello, everyone.  I'd like your thoughts on this.  I learned that supposedly a Missouri occupational therapy professor, who's also an author and journal editor, advocated using Google and Dogpile (instead of MEDLINE) to find article citations for evidence-based practice.  Obviously, she doesn't know about the powerful features of specialized literature databases such as the PubMed or Ovid software for searching MEDLINE.  If she did, she wouldn't be using Google to find evidence for patient care (nor suggesting this in an invited lecture).  Unfortunately, this idea is probably being picked up by others.

Have any of you heard of other respected faculty telling students and healthcare professionals to use Google instead of MEDLINE?  How did you address that?  Please feel free to forward this.  I will summarize to the list(s).

Take care,

Tanya

Tanya Feddern, MLIS, AHIP, MOT, OTR/L
http://www.geocities.com/nqiya/EBMbib.html
http://www.geocities.com/nqiya/index.html
Evidence-Based Medicine Assistant Professor; Reference & Education Services
Librarian University of Miami School of Medicine, Louis Calder Memorial Library