Dear List
I agree with Tanya that there is an inherent contradiction
between EBM methodology and Google. Permit me to digress a bit on EBM
methodology

EBM is based on clearly defined and explicitly declared search
criteria, such that the search is reproducible. This makes for greater
transparency in EBM results but does
it make for better searches?

You have 'search criteria' definitions that miss the point. You end up
with nonsense dressed up as EBM - the type of Evidence Based Medicine
that appeared recently in the widely respected BMJ journal,
Archives of Diseases in Childhood. The EBM researchers arrived at
the clinical bottom line 'No evidence was found to support the use of
the glass tumbler test as a predictor for diagnosis of petechiae'.
(Pariekh A, Maconochie I. What is the use of the glass test? Arch Dis
Child 2003;88:1355)

The flaw was the use of the search term 'glass tumbler test'
We searched for 'Glass test' and embarrassingly came up with evidence
for the test in the same journal (Wells LC, Smith JC,Weston VC et al
The child with a blanching rash: how likely is meningococcal disease.
Arch Dis Child 2001;85:218-22)

[See electronic response in the Arch Dis Child article of Parikh and Maconochie:
Evidence based investigation into the relation between Sexual
Intercourse and Pregnancy : Reductio ad absurdum and EBM]

Amit brings up the point about need for critical thinking rather than
critical appraisal

Too much defining of terms is the bane, not the strong point of EBM.
The human mind is capable of lateral thinking. When we try to recall
something, the brain does not use 'search terms'. In this aspect
Google does better than EBM techniques. Google will even allow for
spelling errors.

But is EBM prepared for lateral thinking?

Jacob Puliyel MD MRCP M Phil
Consultant Pediatrician
West Middlesex University Hospital
Middlesex