Dear Januar,
Could you clarify the type of uncertainty you are talking about?
For example, some folk* distinguish:
1. personal uncertainty - "I don't know, but maybe somebody else does"
2. profession uncertainty - "we as a profession don't know"
3. stochastic uncertainty - I can't say for sure but the best evidence
suggests an X% chance ....
4. value uncertainty - I don't know what I/you value most
Clearly medical consultations can contain all these elements.
EBM is mostly about reducing uncertainty (1) and dealing rationally with
uncertainty (3); whereas doing more research helps reduce uncertainty (2).
Regards,
Paul Glasziou
* attributed to Al Mulley

At 26/09/2004, Januar W. Martha wrote:
>Dear list member,
>
>Does anybody have resources on medical uncertainty, preferably free online,
>that I can use to write a paper. This issue has started to emerge in
>physician practices in Indonesia lately. Some of the pressure came from
>many lawsuits against malpractice cases. Thank you all.
>
>Januar W. Martha, MD, MPH
>Faculty of Medicine
>Padjadjaran University
>Bandung, Indonesia

Paul Glasziou
Department of Primary Health Care &
Director, Centre for Evidence-Based Practice, Oxford
ph: 44-1865-227055  www.cebm.net