Dear Colleagues,

I have been asked to dissemminate information on behalf of the International Organization for Migration (IOM) in London, which
wishes to alert potential migrants in Poland, Slovakia, the Czech Republic and Hungary of information sources about going to the
UK, to help them make an informed decision, following accession to the EU on May 1st 2004.

I ernclose below the message. If you know of any organisation which has contacts with these four countries who can help
disseminate this e-mail it would be appreciated. Please contact Nicola Hemmings (see below) rather than me.

Thanks,

George
George Wade
South Yorkshire European Information Centre
Adsetts Centre
Sheffield Hallam University
City Campus, Howard Street
Sheffield S1 1WB
Tel: (0114) 225 2126
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Internet: www.shu.ac.uk/services/lc/eic

IOM Regional Information Campaign
The objective of the campaign is to give potential migrants access to information about going to the UK to help them make an
informed decision, following accession to the EU on 1st May.
The campaign is operational in four countries (Poland, Slovakia, the Czech Republic and Hungary), IOM has free phone hotlines in
all these countries where people can call for information, and has also been undertaking a number of outreach activities around
the region to inform people of their rights and the regulations involved in going to the UK. To date over 9,000 calls have been
answered, 657,000 postcards and 26,200 posters distributed and 83 outreach activities held reaching directly 3,000 people. The
campaign started in April this year and due to its success and demand from partners (ministries of labour, employment offices etc)
we are extending activities until December this year.
While the campaign is focused in these four countries, we would also like communities already in the UK to be aware of the
information accessible back home, so they can inform friends and relatives who may be able to benefit from the service. The
information may also be of use to other users in these countries (e.g. businesses with links between these accession countries and
the UK) who may wish to contact our regional IOM offices to find out more.
I have attached a copy of the English FAQs which IOM is using to answer queries from members of the public. IOM also signposts
people in the right direction for more specific queries we are unable to answer. These FAQs are available in Polish, Slovak, Czech
and Hungarian, as is the campaign poster advertising the hotline. A visual of the poster can be accessed from our website homepage
www.iomlondon.org or from the following link http://www.iomlondon.org/docs/leaflet/poster.pdf
If you would like further information about the campaign, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Yours sincerely,
Nicola Hemmings
Senior Information Assistant
IOM London
020 7233 0001
E-mail: [log in to unmask]

South Yorkshire European Information Centre is part of a Europe wide network of over 200 European Information Centres. We are
funded by the European Commission and Sheffield Hallam University, and act as an official relay of the West Yorkshire Euro Info
Centre - UK-571. As a first stop shop for European Union information, we offer a comprehensive enquiry service
<http://www.shu.ac.uk/services/lc/eic/eicenquiry.html>  for local businesses on European Union related matters; monitor public
sector contracts <http://www.shu.ac.uk/services/lc/eic/eicTED.html>  throughout Europe for your company; and offer opportunities
to locate agents, distributors or partners Europe-wide through our Partner Search service
<http://www.eiconline.org.uk/homepage.asp> . Our web site provides useful links to resources, including details of contacts in the
10 new members states for those wishing to seek new business opportunities in the enlarged EU. Go to:
http://students.shu.ac.uk/lc/ssb/euinternet.html