Hi Simon,

That mostly works for me, but it depends on a richly nuanced examination
of what is meant by "regarded."  While we're on the subject of voices,
one of my concerns is the passive voice.  Someone has to do the
regarding.  The same is true for the social contructing.  For example,
we musicians form a bunch of very tightly-knit social clusters with our
own protocols and we construct disability and impairment differently
from non-musicians and each other.  Of course, musician identity is
socially constructed as well.

About low vision and "regards".  Here in the States, it's pretty widely
accepted that our Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 is a sort of
benchmark for who is/isn't.  The ADA is fraught with flaws, but it
actually acknowledges the distinction between socially constructed
disability and embodied impairment, although in different language.  It
doesn't go as far as an awareness that impairment is also socially
constructed, but that's hardly the worst of its flaws, a topic for
elsewhere.

What the ADA does here, though, is to de facto create a range of
departure from the (imagined) norm.  Within the range, even at some
distance, no impairment.  Outside the range, impairment.  I'll spare you
the many, many details, which often get parsed in court, but I hope you
see that the ADA imposes a perspective that defines mine.  If we accept
the idea of social constructions, and we do, we acknowledge that there
are distinctive societies that do the constructing and that we do it
differently here.  The ADA has an iconic status here that seems to be
shared by the disability community and just about everyone else.  The
concensus absolutely collapses in the interpretation, much like any icon.

I would also submit that vision is only low if people think it is.
There may indeed be places where, for example, my vision would be fine
without my glasses, as no need would arise that would make my
farsightedness noticeable.  I suspect we all understand this.

Here in the States, it's now become possible for parents to obtain human
growth hormone for their short children on prescription.  Were I a much
younger man, mom and dad could get it for me (not that they would).  I
didn't used to be a little person, but by one benchmark I am now, at
least here.  Yet one more social abomination, curing short-phobia by
poisoning the shorties themselves.