Alex,

Thanks for this. I would argue the disability/impairment relationship is
similar to gender/sex. You argue that low vision is not regarded as an
impairment but I would argue it is and that everyone has one or more
impairments if we define an impairment as any difference from the perceived
norm.

However, not every impairment results in disability.. hence low vision in an
impairment which is resolved by wearing glasses. Take away glasses, and the
impairment becomes a disability.

The debate here is what is socially constructed and what does that mean.
Okay, I could argue I have a speech difference rather than impairment, I
prefer to argue others have a listening impairment.

If impairment is socially constructed, is that always wrong? Can disabled
people not be empowered by the construction. Equality is my goal but in
order to achieve me, I must be different to fight for it.

Many thanks, Simon

--
Simon Stevens
Chief Executive, Enable Enterprises