On Thu, Sep 30, 2004 at 07:25:56AM +0300, Patrick Stickler wrote:
> So, presuming that <http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/> does not denote
> a schema (and not caring further what it might denote):
>
> ... <rdfs:isDefinedBy rdf:resource="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/"/>
>
> should rather be
>
> ... <rdfs:isDefinedBy rdf:resource="http://dublincore.org/2003/03/24/dces"/>
>
> Thus, IMO a reasonable set of URIs could be:
>
> http://dublincore.org/2003/03/24/dces   denotes (one version of) the DC RDF schema
> http://purl.org/dc                      denotes the complete DC vocab
> http://purl.org/dc/dcmitype             denotes a DC subvocabulary
> http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1         denotes a DC subvocabulary
> http://purl.org/dc/terms                denotes a DC subvocabulary

I had not understood why a string commonly used as
an XML namespace in encodings of DC metadata today --
"http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/", with the slash -- could
not also function as DCMI's official identifier for the
notional "vocabulary" in an RDF sense (i.e. a "set of terms").
I believe Patrick said that there is no requirement in the
current XML namespace spec that the URI denote anything at all,
so such a use would not actually violate any rules.

However, I understand there are at least three dangers:

-- There is a long-term risk that the set of members of the
   XML namespace could become disjunct with respect to the
   set of members of the RDF vocabulary.

-- There is risk that people who incorrectly assume they
   should be able to click on this "URL" will get confused.

-- In the future, someone might want to build a pig farm
   at that location (metaphorically).

If that is the case, then Patrick's proposal above makes sense.

(I wonder whether isDefinedBy would perhaps need to point to a
"latest version" identifier like http://dublincore.org/dces,
but that is a minor quibble).

Tom

--
Dr. Thomas Baker                        [log in to unmask]
Institutszentrum Schloss Birlinghoven         mobile +49-160-9664-2129