Yes, the article sounds like a howler.   In its current status as purloined
letter, what sounds silly (to me, anyway) is less its connection between the
study of literature and capitalism (I accept what Guillory says about that)
than its confidence that “bourgeois” and “monopoly capitalists” refer to
specific groups and are secure terms.  That certainty might be one origin of
the conspiracy theory of Spenserians that Spenserians themselves find
bewildering.

I guess what I’m getting at is that Spenser’s class analysis, so to speak, is
more subtle and less decisive.  What is historically interesting about terms
like "aristocratic" or "noble" for me is not how they *are* defined but how
they fall apart periodically for Spenser (or how he makes them fall apart—I
can never decide).  In contrast, one problem with the “bourgeois paradigm”
is it assumes a secure opposition between bourgeois and aristocratic, and
assumes a secure definition of each (warrior vs banker, feudalism vs
capitalism). (Brenner, by the way, has two totally brilliant analyses of this –
one is Bourgeois Revolution and Transition to Capitalism, in The First
Modern Society [I think that’s the title] a festschrift for Lawrence Stone; and
an article in New Left Review in 1977 where he takes Dobb’s side and goes
after Sweezy and Braudel) .  I don’t think there is any simple opposition
between labor and capital, or between nobles and bourgeoisie, in the
Mammon episode, though there is clearly some sort of social opposition
starting to appear that doesn’t exist until the 16th century.  The Mammon
episode doesn’t describe some perennial problem of aristocracy, but
instead struggles with a pretty specific definition—and struggles, I think,
with making this specific problem look like a perennial one.  Similarly, is
Red Cross a noble, or a social climber who becomes, or is made into, a
noble by the end of the book?  I don’t think Spenser can answer that
question.

Spenser’s concern with the “origin of wealth” in Mammon reminds me of
Shakespeare’s sonnet 144, where in the last line “angel” means both the
theological thing and a coin. Shakespeare spends (so to speak) a lot of
energy struggling to figure out what exactly angel means (what the origin
of its value is), but can’t pin it down – his speaker has to “live in doubt.”  Is
this a religious problem or a money problem?  the question is the historical
problem--it's the speaker's question, and as a question it defines his social
position.

A very short way of saying all this, I guess, is that class oppositions should
be deconstructed, and that Spenser, unlike the purloined version of
Kogan’s article, seems to deconstruct them all the time.

Sorry for the long post –  I’m avoiding writing my syllabus...

cw