My university doesn’t seem to have the journal, so I can’t read it though I’d
like too.  In your representation, it sounds like a classic, if aggressively
old-fashioned, depiction of what Ellen Meiksins Wood calls “the bourgeois
paradigm.”  However, the vocabulary might be different, but I’m not sure
that the argument (having not read it, again) is actually all that different
from arguments about Spenser as Poet’s poet, or emphases on his
“inwardness.”  The class dimension of these arguments is rarely made
explicit—and is usually very, very suppressed (repressed?)—but they’re all
imagining a bourgeois Spenser (Rambuss puts this better than me in his
article in Spenser and the Subject of Biography).  Montrose, for instance,
posits a bourgeoisie as the marginal alternative to Elizabethan absolutism;
his argument is less strident and more subtle, but it’s not qualitatively
different than a Spenser in a bourgeois class-for-itself.  In both The
Pristine Culture of Capitalism and The Origin of Capitalism (fun and
enviably clear texts), Wood argues that bourgeois-aristocratic is a false
opposition, basing herself mostly on the work of Robert Brenner.
	I’d guess that Spenser’s depiction of class is characteristically subtle.
He does not want to be, nor does he have a vocabulary to describe, a
bourgeoisie (or a middle class, or a middling sort, etc); instead, he tends to
articulate class antagonism, and occasionally class struggle, in the
vocabulary of “nobles” and “queens.”  But this focus on nobility doesn’t
mean he’s only, as Marx put it, England’s ass-kissing poet—there’s a lot of
quiet social distinctions and less than quiet antagonism going on
everywhere (FQ 3.11.46 seems to me a very, very tricky stanza to read).  A
similar argument is now routinely made in terms of gender—Spenser’s
idolization of Elizabeth cuts any number of ways—but for some reason an
analogous class argument has not gotten much play.

cw