Dear list members,

On Friday 13 August 2004 Alastair Wilson said:

AW>     Can anyone please tell me in what context RK
AW> wrote/published the three verse piece "Zion", which
AW> has as sub-head merely "1914-18".

It was first published, without the title, in the third
article of the "Destroyers at Jutland" series, 26 October
1916 [Livingstone, item 406, page 363] and was in the
'Daily Telegraph' on that day too. It was reprinted in
'Sea Warfare' [item 408, page 365] in 1916, and in 'The
Years Between' in 1919 [items 442-3, page 390].

In a letter to Frank N. Doubleday, dated 18 March 1919, RK
gives this explanatory note:
"The difference between the spiritual attitudes of the Hun
and his opponents. Really wicked people are never humorous
and never dare to stand easy even for a moment."

AW> It has to have been written post-1918 (or late in
AW> 1918, at the end of the war), and I assume refers to
AW> Zion as being Heaven, while the Gatekeepers of Baal
AW> presumably keep the gates of Hell.  Or is it a
AW> reference to the Allies (the goodies) and the Central
AW> Powers (the baddies)?

See above. I assume the '1914-1918' date was added in the
later printings.
--
Yours sincerely,
Eric J Thompson,          Reply to: [log in to unmask]