> 2.  Is there a software program that will allow me to
> digitally record interviews directly into my computer that
> can be read in a text format allowing me to electronically
> translate it, then use the qualitative program to analyze
> and code it?

the answer is no - there is no programme that would automatically put the
recorded words into text. There are programs that you can train based on
your (one) voice, but they won't work to transcribe recorded interviews - as
the computer won't be able to "understand" the voices. You could repeat what
they say if you work with a program that is trained on your voice, but then
you may as well transcribe the text while you listen to it. There is a
shareware package that supports the human transcription of digitally recored
text called transcriber:

http://www.etca.fr/CTA/gip/Projets/Transcriber/

In discussions on other lists (or maybe even on this one), a recommendation
was to simply use a laptop to record by attaching a good microphone. This
way the data are already where they need to be without needing time to
tranfer them from e.g. a minidisk recorder to the computer. You may either
already have software on your computer that supports recording - otherwise
it is easy to find freeware on the Internet.

Susanne