Sue,
Christina Silver and I are currently creating a comparative document - it
will be up on the web pages of the CAQDAS Networking Project shortly -
listing distinctive functionality of each software etc.,

If you woudl like that section of the file where I list the distinctive
asepcts of the functionality of Hyperresearch with a bit more detail and
graphics- get in touch with me - PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT HIT REPLY BUTTON -
[log in to unmask]    ...meanwhile here are some general comments about
HyperResearch - though the comments  are not aimed at Mac users especially -
but  its built for MACs and PC's

HyperResearch - general comments

-       The unit of the analysis is the 'case' not the File, any number of
files can be referenced to a case (or to any number of cases) - this means
files are not hard wired to cases, so you need to take care you uare in the
correct case, when you code a passage within one file. When in coding mode
the user must always be aware what case is open.
-       The  hypothesis tester and the 'Themes' which can then be assigned
to cases as a result, provide an understandable and clearly visible way of
categorising cases by higher concepts. The fact that further hypothesis
tests can include these 'themes' as criteria for selection underlines the
importance of understanding how at this stage, the case increasingly becomes
the unit of analysis (though of course you may only have one file in each
case)
-       Interactivity and hyperlinks between case cards, reports,
annotations is very good. One click or at most a double click provides
access to the whole file with relevant data highlighted.
-       The report builder - and the subsequent reports are unusual and very
useful. The user has complete control about how much information is included
in the report. In the report itself, the coded segments  are hyper- linked
to source text (one click) whether the actual text of the segment is
included in the report or whether its just a listed reference to the
segment.
-       The code map is cumbersome to use, but acts for a different purpose
to other mapping tools mentioned. It mainly acts as a filtering /searching
device. However its use to graphically describe  relationships is limited
since currently you cannot have more than one code map at a time.

cheers
Ann Lewins

Ann Lewins, Manager
Christina Silver, Resource Officer
 CAQDAS Networking Project
Dept of Sociology,  University of Surrey
GUILDFORD  GU2  7XH,  UK

email:   [log in to unmask]
OR [log in to unmask]
CAQDAS web site:  http://www.soc.surrey.ac.uk/caqdas/
Tel +44 (0)1 483 68 94 55
Fax +44 (0)1 483 68 95 51

DISCUSSION GROUP qual-software :  join information etc
see: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/qual-software.html
CAQDAS NETWORKING PROJECT funded by the ESRC Research Methods Programme  to
support the use of software in qualitative data analysis;
co-directed by Nigel Fielding, Professor of Sociology, University of Surrey
and Ray Lee, Professor of Social Research Methods at Royal Holloway,
University of
London