 --- "Gannett, Dulcie" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and
> culture
>
> No, Constantine was *baptized* on his deathbed in 337, but his
> conversion is more commonly dated around 312, when the "In hoc signo
> vincet" vision led him to victory in battle.  Lots of people put off
> baptism as long as possible in those days, because they took
> post-baptismal sin *very* seriously.

We are clearly talking at cross-purposes. When I wrote of Constantine's
conversion, I was referring precisely to his baptism. I realise that
there are Christians of various denominations who would not accept this
association, and I mean no disrespect for them, but I do not think
Constantine would have shared their views. After the victory at Milvian
Bridge he continued to act as a non-Christian, frequently taking human
life (including that of his own son). It was precisely because his role
as Emperor entailed his living a life incompatible with Christianity
that he delayed his admission into the Christian Church until the last
moment; not an unusual ploy in those days.

Bill.

=====

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]