Marjorie Greene wrote:

> I'm having trouble figuring out what the images that look like colored
> posts sticking out of the wall are. (Forgive the tortured syntax.) Is
> this a paleo-trompe-l'oeil device or what?
> http://spazioinwind.libero.it/guysca/images/S._Lussoriosott_3.jpg

They are coloured posts sticking out of the wall :-)

Or rather, they are the representation of the ends of floor or roof beams
(projecting from a wall surface as eaves or an overhanging upper storey).
No necessarily trompe-l'oeil - they are presumably part of whatever scene is
being depicted below - presumably a facade of a building.  It doesn't help
that the image is painted on a concave (presumably apsidal) surface.

John Briggs

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]