Please excuse cross-posting:

CFP: Who am I?  Creating Identity in Medieval Europe (I-II)
Kalamazoo 2005

Identity is basic to human existence, a question always asked: Who am I?
How do I fit into the world and society around me?  In this session we
propose to solicit papers that attempt to answer this question from a
medieval perspective.  Among the topics that would fit into such a theme
would be: social identity, for instance the distinctions between knights,
gentry, and nobility; locational identity, whereby the citizens of a town
distinguished themselves from "foreigners" and "aliens" who came from
elsewhere; and personal identity, expressed by such means as patronage,
personal appearance, and even autobiographical writings. We hope these
sessions will stimulate cross-disciplinary contact, enabling participants
and attendees to consider medieval identity as a multivalent construct that
needs continued exploration.

Please submit any inquiries or abstracts by September 15 to:

Amy Amelio
9026 Marlive Ln.
Houston TX 77025

Phone: (wk) 713-818-9317; (hm) 713-665-1001
Fax: 713-665-1001
Email: [log in to unmask]

Anna Dronzek
Assistant Professor