Paul,

In a unrelated area I am currently going through a DPA request within a
district council.  I work in the waste management section and we have to go
through the last 6 years' worth of missed refuse collection complaints for
one person (the time period is set in our data protection strategy).

The problem is that the recording system is totally paper based and we get 6
sheets of complaints (which, to be fair include sweeping requests, dead
animals and the like too) a day for 260 days a year for six years.

The moral of the story - GO DIGITAL ASAP!!!!

The search is by hand - the worse thing is this is across the authority and
the reasonable charge is ten quid but the requestee (!) is on benefit so
that has been waived.

Nightmare - cross your fingers and hope for he best.

Cheers

Paul