Hi all

Having been out of the office for a couple of weeks I can see the list
has been busy as usual :o)

When Emma and I started the list back in December 1994 it was intended
as a space for 'all those interested in research as it affects disabled
people both in the UK and internationally". We envisaged that this would
include not only paid researchers (academic and otherwise) but also
students, activists and policy makers etc. With 800 subscribers in more
than 30 countries it is quite a broad community these days.

The discussion forum has generally worked as a self-regulating community
and my role as administrator is primarily one of dealing with queries
and technical difficulties (although it is true that I'm also ultimately
responsible to the service provider for conduct and content). Otherwise,
normal net rules apply:

no flames or personal abuse (i.e. think about people's feelings)
no messages off topic (i.e. if it's not relevant to disability research
then try another list)
no spamming (i.e. don't send the same message to multiple recipients)
...and don't give out your credit card details (yes, someone once did
that!)

...that's about it really.

The list is unmoderated and postings do not pass by me before they are
published. There are exceptions of course and from time to time it's
been necessary to 'watch' people for a week or two when there have been
complaints relating to the above rules (posted to me not to the list
please). I don't like doing it but when it happens I try to deal with it
even-handedly by emailing all the parties concerned and explaining the
appropriate netiquette. I have never unsubscribed anyone but sometimes
I've asked individuals to modify the manner in which they post. I don't
think I've had to do that more than four or five times in 10 years,
which isn't a bad average really.

Ideally, I'd like to keep it that way - if we can't get along with each
other here then there ain't much hope of building an inclusive society
now is there? It's mainly a question of taking a bit more time to listen
to each other and keep the criticism constructive.

Hope that helps

Mark (list adminsitrator)