Mike asked:

Hello all-
I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions of
research or information about Camphill Communities?
My brother is "working" at one in Ireland and I went
and visted earlier this summer, and as far as I could
tell it was a combination of a sheltered workshop and
community living situation.
Any guidance on this would be of benefit.
Thanks
Mike

That's not a bad description, although they don't resemble other
sheltered workshop situations in that there isn't (theoretically) the
overseer/employee hierarchy or profit motive seen in enterprises
like, say, Remploy. The goal is that the people without disabilities
who live in Camphill Communities act to facilitate the choices of
and to assist those living there who do have disabilities.
A close friend's son lives in a Camphill Community in Ireland (he is
an adult with autism and learning difficulties) and finds it to be a
much more congenial situation than what "care in the community"
permitted him in the UK (i.e., bedsit-based poverty with a
revolving cast of paid caregivers.) He gets very agitated when
dealing with noise, unexpected situations, and strangers, and gets
bored having nothing to do all day but watch TV. In his rural
community in Ireland, he works with the animals (which he
definitely enjoys!), helps with all the stuff you have to do to keep
the house running, and has formed friendships. It's not the right
life for everyone--my autistic son would find it "dead boring," he
likes city life and meeting people, and will probably be able to work
a regular job and manage his own finances--but it's an option that
some people well like.
My friend speaks enthusiastically about the non-disabled people
working there as well--said they do a great job of trying to live out
the Camphill philosophy, and seem to be having a good time living
that lifestyle themselves.
I know there are lots of people who hate the idea of anyone with a
disability living outside the "mainstream" community, but there are
plenty of non-disabled people who choose a rural, quieter lifestyle
as well, so I think that option should also be there for people with
disabilities. Certainly my friend's son was experiencing no benefit
(and much detriment, having been the victim of crime and
bullying) living on benefits in an urban bedsit. That lifestyle actually
offered him much less freedom and fewer choices than his
current one does. More importantly, he's happier--he's non-verbal
but very communicative physically so it's not hard to tell how he
feels about  things!
Just my 2 cents... Mitzi Waltz

PS: If you want to do some research on Camphill, start with
Rudolf Steiner, whose "philosophy" it's based on. I happen to think
Steiner's a bit of a crank, but oh well... The L'Arche communities,
which are Catholic, have a similar ethos. Some L'Arche
communities are urban.

are now located at: