From: David Fryer [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 31 August 2004 14:23
To: 'Boyle Stephanie (RQ3) BCH '; [log in to unmask] '
Subject: BPS CP section?

Dear Stephanie (and all),

You might like to know that I have undertaken to facilitate discussion of a
session at the Exeter UK Community Psychology conference with the working
title of "Where next for CP in the UK?" which would include discussion of
the case for, and against, a BPS Community Psychology Section (amongst other
related topics). Discussion here on this list would be very appropriate
though and also the views of those who cannot be at Exeter could be taken to
and considered at Exeter.

I think there are very many ways into this issue. Here are three 'families
of related ideas' 'for' a BPS CP section from an academic CP's point of view
(I realise this is not the only or most important point of view and also
think there are reasons against a BPS CP Section but cannot address all
those issues here):

Firstly, few undergraduates studying in British Psychology Departments  get
the  opportunity to discover study or debate community psychology (CP), or
any other critical approach to the discipline, within their studies for
their psychology degrees. I doubt CP will be widely engaged with in UK
Psychology Depts until it has some BPS 'presence'. Community psychology has
been taught as an undergraduate course unit at Stirling for ten years and
has withstood several attempts to close it down but is running for the last
time this year. One of the reasons given for it being closed down at
Stirling is that it is not required for BPS GBR and only those aspects of
psychology which are GBR relevant should be taught (to free up time for
income earing through research). Of course that reason is just a way to
achieve a long wanted result but the existence of a BPS CP section would
have helped me contest that. I believe BPS credentialed psychology graduates
who have not engaged with CP are likely to be less effective psychologists
in theory and practice , are less likely to think about doing more CP (as
Masters or PhD students or  practioners) and are, to the general detriment,
less likely to consider critical cp positions during clinical, educational,
health or organsiational psychology training. A CP which is invisible and
powerless within the BPS is less likely to be able to influence the
development of psychology training and practice within a BPS dominated UK
Psychology.

Secondly, the European Association of Community Psychology is being launched
this summer in Berlin. EACP is the result in part of concerns by ENCP
(European Network of Community Psychology) members that their friendship
originated organisation was undemocratic, lacking in accountability and in
transparency of procedures. EACP aspires to be much more ideologically
acceptable. For many years Jim Orford and Dennis Trent and then Paul Duckett
were by default the the 'English members of ENCP'. Then David Fryer and
Steve McKenna were the 'Scottish members of ENCP. But none of us were in any
sense representative of or accountable to other CPs in England or Scotland
and more importantly there was no principled way to elect or appoint such
reps. A BPS section could be a (not the only) way of introducing more
democracy, accountability and transparency into UK CP and thence in European
CP.

Thirdly, until recently I regarded the the Journal of Community and Applied
Social Psychology as a flawed but potentially important forum for sharing of
ideas in CP in the UK (and further afield). That changed when, as some will
know, earlier in the year, John Wiley and Sons, who own JCASP, removed Jan
Bostock, David Fryer, Annie Mitchell, Jim Orford and David Smail from their
Editorial positions. The new Editorial team of JCASP seems to consist only
of social psychologists. The issues are complex and the future unclear but
my view is that without these community-critical-clinical inclined Editors
JCASP will be become increasingly mainstream. My hunch is that a BPS owned
CP journal would have less interference in editorial matters than a
commercially owned one and that a BPS CP Section (and BPS funded Newsletter)
would be the starting point for a BPS CP Division then Journal and thus a
formum for publishing discussion about CP Praxis less subject to commercial
interference.

I have LOTS more to say - including LOTS of reasons against a BPS CP section
and from the perspectuves of other interest groups but this email is already
too long. It may however keep the ball rolling.

David