I've done what the Americans call "chart review" on all discharged patients
for some years now, with reviews of all investigations and x-ray reporting.
It began as a way to see what the SHOs are doing and to see what is
happening when I'm not in.  I have the luxury of being a single handed
consultant in a relatively small department.    I like to keep myself
informed about what goes on and how cases are written as only the written
record counts when the complaints come in.

We recently introduced a plan for which blood tests to request by case
presentation but the new F2 SHOs seem unable to follow this and CRP, blood
alcohol, LFTs, clotting are cropping up in the most useless of cases.
Harsh words seem to run off their backs (?) and the equally junior Medical
SHOs like to do anything they can think of too.   I'm sure we did it as
juniors and believed that the bloods often made a difference.