Norman,

I'm trying to reproduce the updated build system on my desktop machine (RH9)
and am having various problems.  One is if I do a cvs update from scratch
(checkout -l .; checkout buildsupport libraries applications thirdparty docs)
followed by a bootstrap I get:

% ./bootstrap
Bootstrapping with
    STARCONF_DEFAULT_STARLINK  = /mbt/starauto
    STARCONF_DEFAULT_PREFIX    = /mbt/starauto
    BUILDSUPPORT_PREFIX        = /mbt/starauto/buildsupport
    Do we need to build GNU m4?  false
ln -s buildsupport/starconf/componentinfo.dtd componentinfo.dtd
mkdir -p /mbt/starauto/bin
Bootstrapping buildsupport:
    make -f Makefile.tmp \
        prefix=/mbt/starauto/buildsupport \
        MANIFEST=/mbt/starauto/manifests \
        buildsupport
cd thirdparty/fsf/autoconf \
    && if test -n "$BUILDSUPPORT_PREFIX"; then \
        ./configure --prefix=$BUILDSUPPORT_PREFIX \
            >configure-output.log; \
    elif test ! -f Makefile; then \
        { t="Directory unconfigured but BUILDSUPPORT_PREFIX undefined";\
          echo $t >configure-output.log; echo $t >&2; \
          exit 1; }; \
    else \
        echo "No configuration necessary" >configure-output.log; \
    fi \
    && make>make.log && make install-manifest>>make.log
WARNING: `autoconf' is missing on your system.  You should only need it if
         you modified `configure.ac'.  You might want to install the
         `Autoconf' and `GNU m4' packages.  Grab them from any GNU
         archive site.
autom4te: freezing produced output:
autom4te:
make[3]: *** [autoconf.m4f] Error 1
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [/mbt/starauto/manifests/autoconf] Error 2
Failed to make buildsupport

Any ideas?

Mark

--
Mark Taylor    Starlink Programmer     Physics,  Bristol University, UK
[log in to unmask] +44-117-928-8776 http://www.star.bris.ac.uk/~mbt/