Here are the quotations for the coming week (July 25th to 31st):

1. '...It was a slope of gap-edged fields possessed to their centres by clumps of brambles. Gates were not, and the rabbit-mined, cattle-rubbed posts leaned out and in…In the ungrazed pastures swaths of dead stuff caught their feet, and the ground beneath glistened with sweat. At the bottom of the valley a little brook had undermined its footbridge and frothed in the wreckage. But there stood great woods on the slopes beyond - old, tall, and brilliant, like unfaded tapestries against the walls of a ruined house...'

2. '...Beyond that precise hamlet which stands godmother to the capital of the United States, I found hidden villages where bees, the only things awake, boomed in eighty-foot lindens that overhung grey Norman churches; miraculous brooks diving under stone bridges built for heavier traffic than would ever vex them again; tithe barns larger than their churches, and an old smithy that cried aloud how it had once been a hall of the Knights of the Temple...'

3. '...the life of the English road, which to me is one renewed and unreasoning orgy of delight. The mustard-coloured scouts of the Automobile Association; their natural enemies, the unjust police; our natural enemies, the deliberate market-day cattle, broadside on at all corners, the bicycling butcher's boy a furlong behind; road engines that pulled giddy-go rounds, rifle galleries and swings, and sucked snortingly from wayside ponds in defiance of the notice-board; traction -engines, their trailers piled high with road metal; uniformed village nurses, one per seven statute miles, flitting by on their wheels…'
The sources of last week's extracts (July 18th to 24th) are as follows:

1. (...He leaned forward, but his eye was caught by the setting sun. It had come down to the top of Cherry Clack Hill, and the light poured in between the tree trunks...)  This is from "A Centurion of the Thirtieth" in Puck of Pook's Hill.

2.  (...The old farmhouse, weather-tiled to the ground, took almost the colour of a blood-red ruby in the afternoon light...)  This is from "Hal o' the Draft" in Puck of Pook's Hill.
3.  (...'They stole down our alley, they tapped secretly at our door, they took off their rags, they arrayed themselves, and they talked to my father at the wine...')  This is from "The Treasure and the Law" in Puck of Pook's Hill

Good wishes to all, John R

PS  You may be interested to know that in the NRG we have just published notes by Lisa Lewis on "On the Gate", Alastair Wilson on ".007", and John McGivering on "The Man who Would be King".