On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 14:44:05 +0100, Richard Childs
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I know what the common sense answer to this question should be, but with
>FoI common sense may not prevail.
>Clearly a lot of subscribers to discussion lists such as this one are
>working for public authorities that are affected by the Freedom of
>Information Act
>My understanding is that an e-mail sent via a discussion list which asks
>for information and is received by an individual on their work e-mail
>address is technically an FoI request received by that public body.
Clearly
>the sender of the e-mail doesn't know everyone to whom the e-mail has been
>sent, though by looking at the archive of the discussion list they will
>have an idea of some of the subscribers. Therefore from January 2005
should
>those of us who subscribe to discussion lists and work for public bodies
>affected by FoI have to respond to all requests for information within 20
>working days rather than picking and choosing which ones to which we wish
>to reply. Is this the end of e-mail discussion lists for some of us??
>Richard Childs
>County Archivist
>West Sussex Record Office
>County Hall
>Chichester
>West Sussex PO19 1RN
>
>Information  in  this  e-mail,  and any attachments transmitted with it,
is
>confidential  and  may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for
the
>person  to  whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient
you
>should  not  read it, copy it, disclose its contents to any other person
or
>make use of any of the information contained in it for any purpose.  If
you
>are  not  the  intended  recipient  please  notify the sender by e-mail
and
>delete  the  message  from  your  system  immediately.   West Sussex
County
>Council  cannot  guarantee  that the e-mail, or any attachments
transmitted
>with  it,  are  free  from computer virus and the County Council accepts
no
>liability if one is actually present and you are advised to ensure that
the
>appropriate checks are made.

My tuppence worth

The request is not being sent to an authority it is being sent to a
mailing list.  I reckon if it is not directed to the public authority in
question it is not a request.  However if you e-mailed me direct with my
organisations e-mail address i.e. leics.gov.uk then yup I would reckon
thats valid.

Also, if I have no mail set up (through jisc like wot we should do when we
have happy holidays) you don't know if I got it.

Feels like Friday!!