Hello David,

here is another sounds  a bit different from the last one but still more for
a trainee:

                  ANDREWS
                  Physical Rehabilitation of
                  the Injured Athlete, 2nd Edition
                  W.B. Saunders Company, 1998, $99.00.

                  Doody's Rating: * * *

Reviewer:  Philip Dean Zaneteas, MD, PhD(Kokomo Rehabilitation
Hospital)

textbook on the rehabilitation of the injured athlete. The first eight
chapters provide an overview of psychological and physiological factors in
rehabilitation, the physical examination of the athlete, and goniometric
measurement parameters. Subsequent chapters focus on the use of modalities,
mobilization, and isokinetic testing. A general introductory chapter on the
principles of rehabilitation is included. The second half of the book is
devoted to assessment of specific rehabilitation areas, including the lower
leg, ankle, foot, knee, hamstring, quadriceps, and groin. Low back,
shoulder, and elbow rehabilitation as well as wrist and hand injuries are
also addressed. The final sections are devoted to aquatic rehabilitation,
upper extremity biometrics, knee and leg exercises, and a ten-exercise
program for throwing and interval rehabilitation.

            Purpose:  The purpose of the text appears to be an attempt to
provide a reference source for the treatment of musculoskeletal injuries in
athletes. This is not a text for general rehabilitation of the elderly or
patients with serious underlying medical problems.

            Audience:  Taken in this context, it is targeted for those
caring for the athletic patient population. However, the underlying
physiologic and rehabilitation principles can be extrapolated to a lesser
degree with the non-athletic population.

            Features:  The text attempts to provide specific rehabilitation
protocols only after introducing the underlying scientific rationale for
their implementation. There is a thorough review of the scientific
literature provided in each chapter, especially in the first half of the
book. Diagrams, graphs, and photographs which elucidate each topic are also
clear and directed to the specific topic at hand.

            Assessment:  In terms of the target audience, this text
represents a comprehensive introduction to residents in training. A great
deal of the material, however, will probably be a review for the experienced
physician. One strength is that a great majority of the contributing authors
have a physical therapy background. This facilitates an emphasis on the nuts
and bolts of physical therapy for specific musculoskeletal problems.

            Score:  Weighted Numerical Score: 86

Cheers,  Anna.

Anna Lee. Dip Phty, MHPEd.
Principal Physiotherapist and Occupational Health Consultant
Work Ready Industrial Athlete Centre

Write to me at: [log in to unmask]    Visit me at:
www.workready.com.au

Phone: (612) 9519 7436    Mob: 0412 33 43 98
Fax:     (612) 9519 7439

Snail Mail:
Suite 3, 82 Enmore Road,
Newtown NSW 2042
Australia.

This message, including any attached files, is intended solely for the
addressee(s) named and may contain privileged and confidential information.
If you are not the intended recipient, you must not disseminate, copy or
take any action in reliance on it.  Please notify the sender by reply email
and destroy the original message. Thank you.