>And yet isn't it strange and wonderfully ironic that the present Pontifex >Maximus will go down in history as the Pope who canonised more Saints than >all the combined papacy before him!!

Indeed!

I've been researching this very matter recently and the rationale behind saint-making reveals much about the politics of the Church today.  I don't feel that the list is the place for an extended discussion of that.

Howeer, what is interesting (and pertinent to medieval hagiographers!) is that John Paul II has overturned the ecclesiastical judiciary system that grew up between the 16th and 20th centuries in favour of something much closer to the operations of the early Church.  Power has been returned to the hands of local bishops, who have the task of assembling the biographies on which the Congregation judges the saintly candidates.

Confusingly, the reason for doing this seems to be actually in line with Vatican II, despite the directive to slim down feasts - it was felt to be the time to cut down on universal feasts, but at the same time Vatican II wished that the feasts there are should be really representative of every place and time - truly international.  There was a strong historical bias towards western European saints, whereas now, if you look at the 482 saints and 1334 blesseds made by the current Pope, you'll see that the Catholics of Africa, China, Japan, Korea, Latin America, Vietnam and many other countries have now been rewarded with their own patron saints.  Not to mention the many Orders, confraternities, and congregations who have been similarly honoured.

So - in line with Vatican II, still, despite the apparent contradictions!

Best,
Rebecca

MSN Premium gives you PC protection, junk-mail filters, advanced communication tools and great software like MSN Encarta® Premium. Click here for a FREE trial! ********************************************************************** To join the list, send the message: join medieval-religion YOUR NAME to: [log in to unmask] To send a message to the list, address it to: [log in to unmask] To leave the list, send the message: leave medieval-religion to: [log in to unmask] In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to: [log in to unmask] For further information, visit our web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/medieval-religion.html