Do we actually know how rood lofts in Parish Churches were actually used?  I
am thinking of churches in Britain, but evidence from other countries would
be useful.  I am not talking about the pulpitum in monastic or collegiate
churches, which we know had liturgical functions, but was there actually any
use in a parish church other than dressing the rood, candles before the rood
or (occasionally) housing a rood altar?

John Briggs

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]