Hmm- maybe a good subject to discuss?
Why would we want the criteria to be any different for a particular type of
therapy?  They are aimed at bias reduction and therefore at reducing chance of
harm to client and maximising chances of good for client, whether it be
podiatry, psychotherapy or pediatric oncology.

We use exactly the same critical appraisal forms for a whole range of
interventions, for this reason.  Maybe the form needs a bit more space for
appraising validity of outcome measures, but apart from that, they seem good.
For example of criteria, and for reviews, see Cochrane Development Learning and
behaviour group's reviews - many 'psychotherapies' are in there.  Or see
journal Evidence based Mental Health.

Dr Frances Gardner,
University Lecturer in Evidence-Based Social Work
Department of Social Policy & Social Work, Oxford University
32 Wellington Square, Oxford OX1 2ER, UK
tel:44-1865-270334 email: [log in to unmask]