All,

Thank you to all those you who responded and I have tried my best to
thank all those individually. There was very valuable and useful
comments and considerations. I apologise to those where I have not
personally replied (I am trying to locate you all!) but you have all
been very helpful which makes this list such a fantastic resource and
networking tool.

Here is a summary in no particular order, of the ideas, thoughts and
considerations in a generic form for those working from home (WFH). I
hope it provides some useful ideas for the group and others.

Knowledge Management / Information sharing - how do you know what is
held by those working from home?

A proposal - what about not providing printers for those who WFH to
prevent paper records offsite? (although staff will probably always find
a way!)

Think about issues of damage, loss, theft, unauthorised
viewing/hacking, inaccessibility, disposal and misfiling. For instance
usage of equipment by family members, leaving laptops on the back seat
of cars, throwing away information for it to end up on a land fill
site.

Consider appropriate measures with regards to storage devices such as
USB data keys, cd burners, floppy disks and local drives.

Staff who WFH are subject to the same rights and liabilities as other
staff. Be aware of data protection and freedom of information
implications (among others) for the information held by people WFH.

Think about introducing procedures and legal agreements (contractual)
with staff.

People who WFH to bring in all their information for disposal back to
HQ/Base to be destroyed.

Once again a big thank you to all those who contributed.

Thanks

Mark

>>> Mark Brookes <[log in to unmask]> 30/06/04 11:39:46 >>>
Hi,

I would appreciate your thoughts on or off list on any special
considerations to be made regarding records management and where staff
work from home. Some staff may only report into head quarters on
several
occasions each year.

I can see issues about ensuring secure disposal of information and
security but have any other list members know of other areas that
should
be addressed?

Or perhaps you may be aware of other factors or considerations that
need to be taken into account.

Any help or suggestions are most welcome as I just have begun to
tackle
this challenging area.

Regards

Mark

addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the IS
Help Desk - [log in to unmask]

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the IS Help Desk - [log in to unmask]