David Wilson-Okamura

> Not that C. S. Lewis would ever need to do anything like what I have been
> describing here. According to George Sayer's biography, he was a very fast
> reader. My wife is like that -- we've been married eleven years and she
has
> lapped me so many times that I have stopped counting. So maybe he did read
> Freud.

I think in his case the onus has to be on those who would wish to show that
he didn't. Certainly the Freud giant in *The Pilgrim's Regress* is something
of a caricature, but then the work is avowedly satirical. And do I remember
from A.N. Wilson's biography (which I don't have before me) that he was at
least for a time on friendly terms with Freud's grandson Clement? Clement
has never been a person to suffer fools gladly, and I doubt he'd have given
very long shrift to someone who was trying to get by on a hearsay knowledge
of his grandfather's writing.

Charlie Butler