Bill East <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>> I can't help thinking that such "popular" religious practices have, to a
too great extent, been written out of medieval religion, largely by the early
modern clerical establishment, who were concerned to "purify"
the church of such "superstitions"

> I wonder, most learned Jim, if you would be so kind as to clarify what
you mean...

Most Larnéd Jim, i believe, has as the center of his interest, what happened
at Chartres in the course of the 17th and 18th centuries, when the medieval
Cult there was utterly transformed almost beyond recognition by the resident
Clergy.

if we're lucky, he'll share some of his extensive knowledge and interesting
thoughts on this important subject with us here.

in this context --and others-- it seems to me that one can legitimately pose
the Question of to what extent modern Catholicism --to say nothing of the
myrid "Protestant" sects-- can be said to have much of anything at all in
common with the _mentalité_ (which we all pretend to understand) at work in
the phenomenon called "medieval religion".

which touches on the "methodolgical" issue i was about to raise last week,
before the V.R. Heaps --presumably affected by the summer's heat arriving in
Alaska-- boggled my poor mind with the concept of the Superior "Civility" of
the English.

>If, on the other hand, you mean the Catholic clergy - well, such things go on
unabated, and I am much in demand to bless things that go round the neck, not
least for the feast of St Blaise (3rd Feb) when the faithful continue to come
forward in numbers to have their throats blessed with candles blessed the day
before.

le plus ca change....

butbut, this is "retail" religion, which changes much less, and more slowly,
than the Official Version promulgated by the Hierarchy.

"What about the older ones [Indians] ?"

"Well, we can't seem to cure them of the idea that our Everyday Life is only
an Illusion, behind which is the Reality of Dreams"

--Werner Herzog's "Fitzcarraldo"
http://us.imdb.com/Title?0083946

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]