Phyllis Jestice wrote:

> 1) when (approximately) did Felix of Croyland write his vita of Guthlac?

Between 730 and 749. Not after 749, because Ælfwold, the King of East
Anglia, died in 749, and Felix dedicated his work on Guþlac to Ælwold.

Marjorie Green wrote:

> The three manuscripts that contain versions of the legend of St Guthlac are
> British Museum Cotton Junius D.ix (late fourteenth century),
> Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, 145 (end of fourteenth century to 1420), and
> Bodleian 779 (late fourteenth century to early fifteenth century).
> Their ultimate source is Felix's early eighth-century Vita Sancti Guthlaci.

And, of course, Exeter Cathedral MS 3501, fol.8--130 ("The Exeter Book");
"Guðlac," folio 32b--52b.

While the whole work is known as "Guðlac," scholars break it down to Guðlac
A (Ll. 1-818) Folio 32b--44b, and Guðlac B (Ll. 818--1379) Folio 44b--52b.

(The death of Guthlac, Ll. 1300-1305a)

Ahof þa his honda, Ý Ý Ý Ý husle gereorded,
eaðmod þy æþelan gyfle, Ý Ý Ý Ý swylce he his
eagan ontynde, halge heafdes gimmas, Ý Ý Ý Ý biseah þa to heofona rice,
glædmod to geofona leanum, Ý Ý Ý Ý ond þa his gæst onsende
weorcum wlitigne Ý Ý Ý Ý in wuldres dream.
ða wæs Guðlaces Ý Ý Ý Ý gæst gelæded
eadig on upweg. Ý Ý Ý Ý Englas feredun
to þam longan gefean

So beautifully written!