Saint Hoarve (Herve, Hervey) is a very interesting saint. I tried o demonstrate in a study that his vita is a mix of 3 compositions, the oldest from the 11th century, the latest from the end of the 13th or the beginning of the 14th, the second from the late 12th century. This mix shows there were in fact 2 saints bearing quite the same name. The hagiograph tells us the saint was born in Brittany, from a Breton continental mother ; but his father came originally from (Great-)Britain et retuned back to the Island.
The name Herve (or Hervey) is a Frankish one : it has been given to the Breton saint under the influence of Marmoutier abbey.

AY BOURGES

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]