Richard,  You are right, of course.  The Cid is much more of a "real"
person with all the complexities thereof.  He is put in a position of
"shame" and has to redeem himself in a condition of exile.  It has
been a long time since I read the Cid, so I am reluctant to go into
more details.  I'll look at it when I get home on Tuesday and see if I
can be more help.  yrs, tom ault

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 12:02:18 -0400
  Richard Landes <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and
>culture
>
>At 11:48 AM 6/10/2004, you wrote:
>
>>medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and
>>culture
>>
>>Hi, Richard! No.  _El Cantar de Mio Cid_is a Spanish epic, not
>>related
>>to Roland.  yrs, tom ault
>
>i understand that they're two different tales.  but from the point of
>view
>of the issues of honor and shame, how wd you compare what they have
>offer.  in both cases we have "heroes" driven by the concerns of
>honor and
>shame.  el cid strikes me as more complex and subtle.  roland is more
>like
>a superhero comic book.

>To join the list, send the message: join medieval-religion YOUR NAME
>to: [log in to unmask]
>To send a message to the list, address it to:
>To leave the list, send the message: leave medieval-religion
>to: [log in to unmask]
>In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write
>to:
>For further information, visit our web site:
>http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/medieval-religion.html

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]