 Another howler is the use of an
> up-ended, half-buried bathtub to serve as a "shrine" for statues of
> Mary. What was that discussion recently centering on our distance
> from medieval superstitions? :-))

My point exactly, fairest Marjorie. I have often seen the bathtub
shrines in New Hampshire, and reflected that if I had a parish there I
would not have to keep a list of parishioners. I could simply stop and
visit wherever I saw a bathtub shrine in the garden. And very nice too.

Addressing the question of how far we are from 'medieval
superstitions': I remember in the year 2000, the year of the Great
Jubilee, leading a pilgrimage to Walsingham. I explained to my party,
as one was being asked to do, that they could obtain a plenary
indulgence on this pilgrimage, by visiting the shrine, praying for the
Pope's intentions and making a confession. On the way home, one of the
group handed me her rosary and asked if I could do the "Millennium
Blessing" on it. Despite all my explanations she still thought a
Plenary Indulgence was something you did to a rosary. Ask yourself what
chance parish priests (even assuming they themselves were well
instructed) had of explaining subtle points of doctrine in the Middle
Ages, before the existence of amplifiers, of hearing aids, of loop
systems . . .

Bill.

=====

to: [log in to unmask]