To let the inquisitor express himself, I excavated an old conference
paper on Nicholas Eymeric.  Eymeric said the inquisitor should be
prudent, persevering, learned and virtuous.
Bernard Gui said an inquisitor should be "a prudent physician of souls"
whose face shines with mercy.

See, respectively:
Nicolau Eymeric & Francisco Pena, Le manuel des inquisiteurs, tr. L.
Sala-Molins (Paris, 1973).
Bernard Gui, Manuel de l'inquisiteur, tr. G. Mollat (Paris, 1964).

One point of my paper was that there was much in common between what
these authors thought right conduct of an inquisitor was similar to what
weas expected of a confessor.  Needless to say, as another message
recently noted, practice varied by time, place and persons involved.

Tom Izbicki

Thomas Izbicki
Collection Development Coordinator
Eisenhower Library
Johns Hopkins
Baltimore, MD 21218
(410)516-7173
fax (410)516-8399

medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and
culture

>Were ALL the inquisitors nice, sincere, well-meaning
>chaps?  Probably not.  But then, neither am I, so I
>hope that is not just cause for disapprobation.

The strategies and judgements employed by inquisitors varied from
person
to person and place to place, often tailored to the activities of
specific (real or perceived) heretics and embedded within the local
political and social context. It is this specific context which is
explored in
James B. Given's book 'Inquisition and Medieval Society: Power,
Discipline and Resistance in Languedoc' (1997, Cornell), illustrating
that whilst inquisitors represented an altogether different type of
authority, they were (like other types of authority) resisted,
manipulated, encouraged and ignored depending on the circumstances.
When
trying to understand medieval societies, I think it's more useful to
consider inquisitors (or for that matter anyone else involved in or
aiding inquisitorial activities) as well as individuals or groups
deemed
'heretical' in this light rather than as 'bad guys' Vs. 'good guys'.

Aleks Pluskowski

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]

to: [log in to unmask]