Dear all,

I clearly know less than I thought about witch processes: I thought it was a
generally accepted thesis that witch burning and witch hysteria was more of
a non-Inquisition thing. Can't find my Trevor-Roper (did I lend it to
someone?), but I am fairly sure that was his thesis. The idea (as I remember
it) would be that the Inquisition were much more interested in heretics and
that in Catholic areas (with very limited exceptions) it was generally local
authorities who wanted to burn witches and the Inquisition who were trying
to damp their ardour, so to speak. I may be wrong in the details, but that's
how I remember it (I cannot find that book).

Gustav Henningsen in his book Heksenes advokat (The Witches' Advocate) gives
a very interesting case study of an early 16th century inquisitor, Salazar
Frias, who was sent to investigate witchcraft in the Basque countries and
gradually got less and less convinced. It is a very good read, and Salazar's
dry comments are hilarious. (It should be noted that he got into trouble
with his superiors though). Henningsen's conclusion is that witch-hunting is
something that happens in the meeting of a small local community (often but
not always a small village) with the elite culture, and that there are often
witch entrepreneurs involved, i.e. people who have an economic or other
interest in encouraging the hysteria. Of course, these entrepreneurs may
sometimes be Catholic priests, but they can equally be local lords.

Protestant Scandinavia is the only area for which I have done any reading of
my own. There were fairly severe outbreaks in the mid-17th century (a little
late for this list, I am aware), with c. 280 witches killed (though usually
by decapitation, not burning) in Sweden during the 8-year-period before
hysteria died down. This may not seem much in terms of overall statistics
(which I haven't got access to), but you need to remember that it was a very
sparsely populated country with small local communities and it all happened
at once: the impact must have been enormous.

It breaks out in different provinces, usually related to the movements of
individual witch entrepreneurs (beggars etc). Typical scenario is as
follows:

Entrepreneur with previous form turns up and says he can identify witches.

Local women have a tiff about something else and one accuses the other.

Local child is dragged in and claims to have been taken to a witch meeting.

All local children are put under close surveillance and promptly start
producing similar stories.

After a certain ampount of investigation (and deaths) their stories are
shaken and the whole thing dies down.

Individual priests seem to take up different positions, as do individual
secular jury members. The vicar of Lovanger placed children in the sacristy
and encouraged them to point out witches as the congregation was leaving the
church. The vicar of Gavle, on the other hand, had to defend his own wife
against accusations brought by the mayor. The two people most involved in
putting a stop to it are a doctor and a Church of Sweden vicar.

There were occasional witch-processes in Sweden during the 16th century, but
they seem often usually resulted in acquittal, as the jury could not believe
that these foolish tricks could really do any harm. The one exception,
again, is due to one individual: the city of Jonkoping had the misfortune to
employ, in 1588, an executioner who claimed to be an expert witch hunter and
who had probably learnt the art abroad.

Of course, to some extent witch-hunting was an institutional thing: it might
not have happened if Kramer and Sprenger had not written their book, if
Innocentius had not brought out his bull, and in Scandinavia if the Danish
king Kristian had not made a law that Danish witches were to be burnt. Yet
to a large extent it still seems to be down to the moral stamina of
individuals. Salazar Frias was under a lot of pressure from his colleagues,
but he stuck to his position. Others encouraged the witch hunts for their
own personal gain when under no pressure at all.

I don't know if this is at all relevant, sorry for whaffling on so long.

Lena Wahlgren-Smith

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]