At 10:29 AM 6/16/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture
>
>Quite frankly I find the tone and content here offensive.  The Vatican
>conference presumably involved scholars working along the same lines as
>those who have produced a body of revisionist studies on the various
>inquisitions (Peters, Kamen, Tedeschi and others) over the last three
>decades.  The revisionism was long overdue because of the distorted and
>exaggerated view of the inquisitions that had become conventional in the
>18th and 19th centuries and is now endemic in popular culture.  WIthout
>having seen the papers, why mock the conference or its proceedings?  If
>a conference convoked by one of our professional societies or one of our
>major universities had announced the publication of its proceedings with
>similar generalizations, would you not at least have reserved judgment
>until you had seen the volume?  And what does contemporary geopolitics
>(and ecclesial-politics) have to do with any of this?  The joke works
>only if one asumes that everyone on the list shares the same
>geopolitical assumptions.

i think the point of the joking is that the results of the investigation
are so painfully self-defensive, all aimed at "correcting" a widespread
"popular idea" of the inquisition that, because it's so bad, can serve as a
foil for the church to say, "we weren't that bad.".

what i think i personally wd have been much more comfortable with was a
discussion of how, whatever the numbers of executed, they represent only
the tip of the iceberg of a form of pervasive intimidation that injected
whole new levels of mutual distrust and (justified) paranoia into european
society, and violated (and corrupted) basic principles of Christian love
and generosity.  And that this is something that is inexcusable and well
worth meditating on so that it doesn't happen again. Instead we get an
allegedly scholarly conference of bean counters whose conclusions look
suspiciously like the shabbiest kind of "damage control."

The inquisition has a bad reputation for good reason: it defies every
aspect of our modern culture -- the one in which we get to write our free
opinions in public.  If the church wants to be part of the modern world,
i.e., civil society (apparently a real matter of debate), then it needs to
do real self-criticism.  Until then, i don't think you can expect many
independent scholars (precisely thekind of people the inquisition sought to
silence) to treat this kind of stuff as anything more than a bad joke.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]