Amen to Dennis' usual good sense and scholarly contribution to the list.
MG

-- Dennis Martin <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Quite frankly I find the tone and content here offensive.  The Vatican
conference presumably involved scholars working along the same lines as
those who have produced a body of revisionist studies on the various
inquisitions (Peters, Kamen, Tedeschi and others) over the last three
decades.  The revisionism was long overdue because of the distorted and
exaggerated view of the inquisitions that had become conventional in the
18th and 19th centuries and is now endemic in popular culture.  WIthout
having seen the papers, why mock the conference or its proceedings?  If
a conference convoked by one of our professional societies or one of our
major universities had announced the publication of its proceedings with
similar generalizations, would you not at least have reserved judgment
until you had seen the volume?  And what does contemporary geopolitics
(and ecclesial-politics) have to do with any of this?  The joke works
only if one asumes that everyone on the list shares the same
geopolitical assumptions.

Dennis Martin

>>> [log in to unmask] 06/16/04 9:38 AM >>>
medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and
culture

"Thomas L. Long" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Perhaps the Vatican has employed researchers from the Bush State
Department?

no, no.

State is *much* too reliable for this level of Revisionist Fantasy.

sounds more like an in-house, NeoCon Pentagon piece of work, to me.
(especially the part about, "Well, yeah, sure it was a bad thing to do,
but,
hey, stuff like that happens in Dark Ages ; and, besides, it wasn't as
bad as
the Liberal Press made it out to be, and *could* have been a lot worse,
if
Sathanas were still in Power.")

or maybe even something dreamt by the guy who scripted the recent,
week-long-but-interminable "Apotheosis of St. Ronnie" Media Event which
those
of us in the U.S. were recently subjected to.

not to forget --and certainly not coincidental with this Vatican
announcement-- that The Duhbya Hisownself paid the Papa a visit last
week
(where, word is, he complained that he wasn't getting sufficient help
from the
U.S. Heirarcy in his campaign as he thought he deserved, being a good
son of
some church or other, to say nothing of happening to be in Direct
Communication with Yahway Himself).

"What about the older ones [Indians] ?"

"Well, we can't seem to cure them of the idea that our Everyday Life is
only
an Illusion, behind which is the Reality of Dreams"

--Werner Herzog's "Fitzcarraldo"
http://us.imdb.com/Title?0083946

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]

The best thing to hit the Internet in years - NetZero HiSpeed!
Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
Only $14.95/ month -visit www.netzero.com to sign up today!

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]