Sent: 25 May 2004 13:22
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: C&G 6129 Level 2 Cert in Plumbing Studies

Is anyone else running the above, and if so has anyone yet run a paper-based exam?

In order to run the (multiple choice) exams, we had to contact C&G and ask for the CD which contained the questions (3 versions of each paper, to cater for re-sits) and the marking keys for each version of each test.  After receiving this we then had to devise a record sheet so that we can ensure that candidates do not re-sit an identical exam.

We have to print off the relevant exam papers, either in sufficient quantity for the exam (or, presumably, send to our reprographics unit for secure printing of required number of copies!).  We can apparently request supplies of MAs from C&G.   We then have the usual tasks associated with all exams (paperwork, rooms, invigilators, etc).

The icing on the cake is the marking.

‘At the conclusion of the test the answer sheets should be marked.  Marking must be undertaken by someone who is not involved in the delivery of the scheme…….. The basic pass mark ……..is 80%.  Where a candidate scores between 70 to 79% the Assessor may use oral questions, covering those topics that the candidate has not answered correctly.’

As all of plumbing staff are involved in the scheme they cannot be involved in marking, and obviously cannot see the papers.

I rang C&G and asked why, if we are using MAs for responses, C&G cannot mark these electronically and was told that they don’t have the capacity to be able to cope with marking ‘on demand’ exams – and that they would have to make these ‘dated exams’ thus reducing the flexibility of the scheme!

If any one is running these, I’d be pleased to hear how they are dealing with those who score 70-79%.  I’d also be interested in the views of other Exams staff on being expected to carry out work that logically the board should be doing.

Carole Gummer

Examinations Manager

Rotherham College of Arts & Technology

The information in this e-mail is confidential and intended solely
for the use of the individual to whom it was addressed. If you are
not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this
e-mail in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing
or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this e-mail in error, please contact
Rotherham College at [log in to unmask] or by using the
reply facility in your e-mail software, and then delete it from
your system

Thank you for your cooperation