Teaching statistics for EBM

Hello.

A surgeon and I have been co-teaching a series of EBM lectures (hourly for about 11 weeks) to 3rd year Surgery Clerkship students.  We are really grappling with how best to teach the complicated "critical appraisal" aspects of EBM.  On the one hand we want the students to understand the complexities of appraising articles of therapy, diagnosis, prognosis and harm but, on the other hand, it seems that the statistical equations needed to accomplish this are so intimidating that the students are, quite frankly, overwhelmed by the process.

We are seeking suggestions for really practical approaches to the teaching of critical appraisal.  We want the students to understand that they do need to ask sophisticated questions when appraising an article.  But, perhaps more importantly, we want them to be willing and able to put the process into practical, everyday use and we are concerned that an emphasis on re-analyzing the various statistical approaches will make it seem so complicated that they won't want to incorporate it into their daily practice.

Any ideas?

Jan O. Rice

Assistant Director

Harrington Library

Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center

1400 Wallace Blvd.

Amarillo, TX 79106

806-354-5450