on 15/06/2004 16:11, Rice, Jan at [log in to unmask] wrote:

> We are seeking suggestions for really practical approaches to the teaching of
> critical appraisal.  We want the students to understand that they do need to
> ask sophisticated questions when appraising an article.  But, perhaps more
> importantly, we want them to be willing and able to put the process into
> practical, everyday use and we are concerned that an emphasis on re-analyzing
> the various statistical approaches will make it seem so complicated that they
> won't want to incorporate it into their daily practice.

We are using EBM calculator which is available from the U of Toronto
(http://www.cebm.utoronto.ca/). We have written a workbook (or at least a
first version) which shows you how to use it, and goes through worked
examples based on published abstracts, occasionally supplemented with data
from the paper. Weıve found itıs a good way of getting the principles
across. EBM calculator runs on Palm and Pocket PC, and there is a web based
version too, if you donıt have a PDA.

The Center for EBM tell me that they are revising EBM calculator and writing
a manual, but I donıt know when the new version will be out. I had a brief
correspondence with their statistician, who has very good ideas about
developing it. It will be worth watching.

I think that our students have benefited enormously from using it. Certainly
the exam standard has gone up (they have two EBM questions on the written
paper and two abstracts in the MCQ).

Ronan M Conroy ([log in to unmask])
Lecturer in Biostatistics
Royal College of Surgeons