[This message seemed to vanish into the aether - no doubt it will turn up
eventually - so I am sending it again]

R.A. Coates wrote:
> That doesn't explain the alveolar z in Bosham and the non-alveolar S
> "esh" in Cosham, the latter being a spelling-pronunciation. (Correct me if
> I'm wrong. I thought the current local pronunciation was "cosh" not
> "coss", whatever Forster says. If I'm wrong, you're right.)

Most people say "cosh", but a substantial number of
older/longstanding/middle-class inhabitants say "coss" - and regard it as
the "correct" pronunciation.  [It is perhaps literally a shibboleth!]  It is
unclear (to me, at least!) whether the "coss" pronuciation is a genuine
survival or a (19th century?) affectation based on the etymology.

John Briggs