This is sad Duncan.
One of my colleagues wondered if there is any correlation between sporting an England Flag and socio-economic group. Is he a snob?

Tim Mason
-----Original Message-----
From: Economics, business, and related subjects [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Duncan Williamson
Sent: 25 June 2004 07:52
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: England Flags

Dear All,

The morning after the night before ... however, as I returned from a trip to the Smoke yesterday on the Oxford Tube I took to spotting how many vehicles were sporting an England Flag.

I took two sets of sample data: one set on the A40 and one set on the M40. I can exclusively reveal (I am betting that no one else has been so sad as to carry out this survey!) that on average

*           every 30th car driving towards London on the A40 on the stretch just after it has stopped being the M40 (!) was sporting an England flag (sample size 29)

*           every 57th car driving towards London on the A40 on the stretch just after junction 8 was sporting an England flag (sample size 13)

In addition to preparing a spreadsheet containing raw data and a histogram I also carried out a Chi Squared analysis of my two sample sets and can further exclusively reveal that there is a significant difference between the two samples, meaning that there is less of a propensity to appear patriotic near Oxford than there is near London.

The spreadsheet is available for anyone who wants it: just ask off list!

Duncan Williamson

This message has been virus checked by Sophos Sweep provided
by the Birmingham Grid for Learning. For guidance on e-mail
good practice, e-mail viruses and hoaxes please visit:
http://www.bgfl.org/connectivity/e-mail.htm

to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email
in error please notify [log in to unmask]

The views expressed within this email are those of the
individual, and not necessarily those of the organisation