Ivens,

If it's only stables (e.g. for horses) then testing for pesticides is probably a little excessive.  However, if the desk study suggests that the farm is rather more commercial, and that buildings have been used to stored pesticides etc. in quantity, or the report is uncertain about their use, then I would be inclined to ask for them to be tested for.  I don't know about the costs.  Where did you get £250 from ?

-----Original Message-----
From: Ivens, Rob [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 08 June 2004 15:30
To: Norrie, Gordon; [log in to unmask]
Subject: RE: Farm & Agricultural buildings

Norrie,

I often wrestle with what to do with farm conversions, we are 755 green
belt. The problem I have is the level of work and cost of pesticide
testing...... as I understand it pesticides are approx £250 a throw. As you
would surely need 3 to know anything sensible and often the places are
stables etc I just cant justify it in my own mind. Does any one know of a
short cut to pesticied detection.

what do others do.

ps I currently have a development of 6 houses on a former farm supplies
shop.... I havent broached the subject of pesticides yet......  any
suggestions. 1 per property I suppose.