Dear Annie
No need to be defensive. I worked as an Independent Midwife in NZ for
many years and fully support what you do. I wish you luck for your
proposal and if I can be any support as someone who was involved in the
early years of IM practice in NZ let me know.
Maggie

>>> [log in to unmask] 06/19/04 05:37pm >>>
Hi, I'm an independent midwife working in South London and loving every
minute...it
is  - for me - the only way to practice, having tried the NHS route and
failing dismally.
I salute everyone who is able to work within the system but my decision
to work
outside it doesn't mean I am not a supporter of the fundamental tenet
of the NHS ie
free at the point of delivery.
To this end I am working, along with other IM's, towards persuading the
Dep't of
health to consider the proposal we have put together as another
alternative for
women and midwives...basically working as a self-emplyed midwife,
alone, in
partnerships or in small practices and contracting into the NHS on a
set fee per case
basis.
We have met with the minister for mat services, Stephen Ladyman and
hope to
present the model to a working party looking at recruitment and
retention issues.
One of the Ministers' concerns was that not enough midwives would want
to work in
this way so we have put together a short on-line survey on our website,
where you
can also access the model. An important point is that the model sits
alongside
current provision, ie nothing has to be dismantled and it can grow up
from a
'grassroots' start.
Please have a look if you can and fill in the survey. Also tell
everyone you know to
do the same, there is also a version for the public. The website
address is:
www.independentmidwives.org.uk
I would be very pleased to hear any thoughts, comments etc
regards
Annie Francis

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com