Hi, Jim,

   >> >Thanks, Rochelle.  Is _Absent Voices_ out yet?
   >> Yes, finally. I was told shipment of pre-orders will start Monday.
   >Dear Rochelle,
   >If this book is germane to the present discussion (or anything else
   >medieval!), may we have an abstract, please?

My Phd is in Medieval English. So, yes, it is germane and it does indeed
delve into things medieval... An abstract is at the listowner's discretion.
I think I can say this much without permission: it's divided into two parts.
Part one is a concise discussion of the history of writing systems from
origins through the early centuries CE. Part two concentrates on the AS
writing system in depth. McKitterick wondered if the AS's had a phonetic
alphabet: they sure did. <G>

[snip]
   >In the case of the Virgin Mary, the niche also
   >commonly became synchretically associated with trees early in the
   >Middle Ages.

Wasn't there was a nice recent discussion on this?

   >> The concept of niche/cave is independent, so is the high place.
   >>Both of  these concepts are found throughout the world and owe
   >>nothing to diffusion.  The third concept, though, was disseminated.
   >..

   >This is a difficult problem.  If we do not suppose diffusion, how
   >does one account for such "universal" motifs?  I feel uncomfortable
   >with ideas about Jungian archetypes, myself, but some kind of
   >psychoanalytic explanation seems inevitable.

I'm not happy with Jungian archetypes, but worship of the sun -- the light
giver -- is going to, and does, show up just about everywhere. Caves are a
natural, too. Diffusion requires cultural contact. While intercontinental
trade dates back to 12,000 BCE, the items of trade limit contact to the
Eurasian land mass (including Britain), the Eastern Dodecanese, and the
coast of North Africa via the landbridge until ca. 3,600-3,200 BCE when
trade by sea picked up. The items of trade do not show contact with, for
instance, the American continents, until long after high places/ziggurats
and sacred cave/niches appear in those areas. So, diffusion is not involved.
(BTW, The Mayans used the corbeled arch in their temple architecture.)

   >> The shape is the third of the three concepts involved. The high
   >>arch,  straight-side, narrow column is North-West Semitic; it is
   >>also the shape  of _Christian_ statuary niches, Christian grave
   >>markers, drawn on Christian  codices, the shape of church doorways
   >>and windows, arcades and cloisters, the  shape of the tablets held
   >by Moses in the MSS... It's the shape of "The" Law.
   >I appears that you have done a great deal of research on this.
   >Have you published on any aspect of it?  I would certainly be
   >interested in any references you might be able to pass along.

Well, I have both on-line and hard copy stuff around on different aspects
of writing systems. As for the shape of the law, even though it's easy to
show the origin at Sumer of the specific shape in the religious architecture,
a really detailed discussion would take a good sized book because of the wide-
spread use of the arch/vault architecturally. I'm forced to condense all the
time. Luckily, the shape in the West is both distinctive and so heavily used
in art, architecture, and illustration, that pictures can do a lot of the
talking. A companion piece (much expanded in the book) is "The Size of the
Law: Document Dimensions and their significance in the Imperial
Administration," in Linda Jones Hall, ed., Confrontation in Late Antiquity:
Imperial Presentation and Regional Adaptation. Cambridge, UK: Orchard Academic,
2003. I was nagged into writing up a report on the fake Temple Tablet in 2003
for a peer-reviewed on-line site. There's a condensed discussion on the shape
of "The" Law in that. (bibleinterp.com/articles). The main discussion, with
illustrations saving words, is in Absent Voices. Most of what I have out
there is on the Dead Sea Scrolls or Iron Age ANE. I didn't want to duplicate
Medieval material that's in the book.

   >Cheers,
   >Jim Bugslag

Cheerfully yours,