Al,

On Tue, 18 May 2004, Alasdair Allan wrote:

> cvs update: move away libraries/ndf/ndf_tcb; it is in the way
> C libraries/ndf/ndf_tcb
> cvs update: move away libraries/pda/randtest.f; it is in the way
> C libraries/pda/randtest.f
> cvs update: move away thirdparty/eso/catlib/astrotcl/imageio/include/fitsio.h; it is in the way
> C thirdparty/eso/catlib/astrotcl/imageio/include/fitsio.h
> cvs update: move away thirdparty/eso/catlib/astrotcl/wcslib/include/wcs.h; it is in the way
> C thirdparty/eso/catlib/astrotcl/wcslib/include/wcs.h
> cvs update: move away thirdparty/eso/catlib/astrotcl/wcslib/include/worldCoords.h; it is in the way
> C thirdparty/eso/catlib/astrotcl/wcslib/include/worldCoords.h
> cvs update: move away thirdparty/eso/catlib/astrotcl/wcslib/man/worldCoords.man3; it is in the way
> C thirdparty/eso/catlib/astrotcl/wcslib/man/worldCoords.man3
> cvs update: move away thirdparty/eso/catlib/astrotcl/wcslib/src/wcs.c; it is in the way
> C thirdparty/eso/catlib/astrotcl/wcslib/src/wcs.c
> cvs update: move away thirdparty/eso/catlib/astrotcl/wcslib/src/worldCoords.C; it is in the way
> C thirdparty/eso/catlib/astrotcl/wcslib/src/worldCoords.C
> cvs update: move away thirdparty/eso/catlib/tclutil/tclutil/test/test.tcl; it is in the way
> C thirdparty/eso/catlib/tclutil/tclutil/test/test.tcl
> klunk{aa}:
>
> caused by the fact that we have files such as "FitsIO.h" and "fitsio.h",
> HPFS+ is really annoying sometimes...
>
> I'm not entirely sure what to do about this problem. Unfortunately it's
> not just catlib as we have two cases in our own libraries (well, at least
> we can fix those more easily I guess)...

I think this is my problem, since it's me (or rather autoastrom) which
needs catlib, and I've got a shiny new Mac to work this out on.

One solution is to format a smallish partition as UFS rather than HFS+,
and build things there.  The compiled results would still work on a
stock OSX box, and it's only OSX folk who want to build things who'd
have to be warned about this.  And they probably know about it anyway.

The problems in our own libraries we should sort out.  Telling folk
they have to use a specific filesystem to build catlib is one thing,
but our own software we should tidy up.

Just by the way:

> Okay, will do. On a related note...
>
> klunk{aa}: cvs -q update -d
> [log in to unmask] password:

Do you know about ssh-agent -- verrrrrry handy.  Specifically
http://synthemesc.com/sshLogin/ for a sshAskPass application for OSX.

Norman

Norman Gray                        http://www.astro.gla.ac.uk/users/norman/
Physics and Astronomy, University of Glasgow, UK     [log in to unmask]