On Wed, 12 May 2004, David Berry wrote:

> > > I just did
> > >
> > > % cvs commit mapping.c
> > >
> > > in my local checkout directory, and it said
> > >
> > > cvs [server aborted]: could not find desired version 1.89 in
> > > /cvs/libraries/ast/mapping.c,v
> > >
> > > Huh? What have I done?
> >
> > Your CVS/Entries file is out of sync with the server. Have you been
> > copying things around between trees/branches?
>
> I edited mapping.c in another directory (which did not contain a CVS
> checkout), and then copied it into my checkout directory and did
> "cvs commit mapping.c". Do the AST source files like mapping.c carry any
> CVS magic around in them (cant see any)? I thought it was safe to move
> such files around.

It is, the files themselves have no version information (unless you use
one of the magic keywords like $Id$, but I'm pretty sure they are only
checked on update/checkout), the expected version is kept in the file
CVS/Entries. For my update of AST this shows the last version as 1.88
committed on the 30th April. What does yours show?

Maybe you've messed up by committing to a local CVS repository (don't know
how you manage that without being you), in which case I'd redo a fresh
checkout and try again.

Peter.